The COVID-19 pandemic in all its glory was a great challenge to all of us, no matter the industry. In the hospitality industry, restaurants specifically, the challenge was immense being punched in the face from all angles and being forced to be reactive more than we wanted to. Our entrepreneur mentality and aggressive nature were tested harshly.
Those of us that dove head first into technology survived at higher rates than those who hung back. That edge made a huge difference. But one thing is for sure, the human touch our team put forward played a very large part in our success. Even though most customers during that time were quick pick-up or delivery, the positive customer-to-team connection kept our customers coming back.
So, technology versus human touch. Hmm. It may not even be fair to compare the two because they need not be viewed as either-or. A perfect combination of both (both!) is a true recipe for success.
The National Restaurant Association’s recent State of the Industry Report revealed that 68% of customers prefer traditional service from a server over ordering or paying via tablet or phone app. That leaves 32% that do prefer the assistance of technology. I don’t know about you, but I don’t want to advise anyone to leave out either of those buckets of consumers.
The perfect mix of human touch and technology can produce the perfect result of consumer satisfaction. We’re back in full-force after the pandemic. Let’s get our strategies back inline with our aggressive thinking again and layout that perfect plan for our customers that involve both technology and human touch.